[Asterisk-Users] call "load balancing"

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Thu Aug 11 10:56:31 MST 2005

On 09:15, Thu 11 Aug 05, tim panton wrote:

> On 10 Aug 2005, at 16:48, Michiel van Baak wrote:
>
> >On 08:45, Wed 10 Aug 05, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> >
> >>1) your provider is voluntarily screwing up VoIP traffic
> >>2) some idiot purposingly fills up your pipe with UDP traffic
> >>

> >If they fill the pipe with TCP traffic, UDP will be dead as
> >well. Protocols don't matter, bandwidth does.
>
> Actually they do. A smart router/firewall can manage inbound
> TCP traffic by delaying or dropping outbound acks. This will cause any
> correct TCP implementation to back off.
>
> Clearly this isn't perfect, it won't help you if you are being DOS'd
> but it will throttle inbound http/smtp.
>
> Tim.

The "correct TCP implementation" is the key here.
If everybody on this world used such implementations a lot
of problems would be solved. I seen enough clients relying
on timeouts instead of acks etc.
I have to admit it will help some, but it will never beat a
good QoS agreement with your upstream provider.

DOS-attacks are something totally different. It will blow
you offline till you contacted your upstream provider and
the activated some logic on their switches.

--
Michiel van Baak
http://michiel.vanbaak.info
michiel at vanbaak.info