[Asterisk-Users] USB handset wanted

Ondrej Valousek webserv at s3group.cz
Thu Aug 11 07:15:22 MST 2005

Ok,

Here is my more detailed vision:
The company has 20-30 engineers sitting behind thin clients powered by
LTSP using one common login server via XDMCP.
USB handsets are connected to the thin clients.

Now I would like them to use phones so I have 2 options:
- use more advanced sound systems like ESD or maybe ALSA that is able to
connect to the remote sound server (running on each thin client) and run
softphone directly on the login server
- forget about ESD/ALSA, stick with OSS (most softphones are only OSS
aware anyway) and launch softpone software locally on each thin client.

The better is option 1, I think because all apps use the same sound
device and users can have 1 common headset for everything. No switches,
no remote logons, no hassle. But it does not solve the ringing issue. So
I have to forget it.

But these my thoughts assume the headset appear to the system as another
USB soundcard. That's the bottom line.
Any other oppinions?

Ondrej