[Asterisk-Users] call "load balancing"

Dave Redmore dredmore at cjrinc.com
Tue Aug 9 20:51:26 MST 2005

Hello All,

Wondering what sort of real world mileage people are getting out of
different internet connecions - i.e. different DSL connection speeds,
cable modems, etc...  Is it reasonable to hope to carry 10 - 15
concurrent calls on a 768K DSL?  I'm not talking about theoretical BW or
looking for any difinitive absolute guarantee...  With DSL and Cable -
there is no guarantee, so I'm wondering what folks are getting with real
world usage...

Secondly, assuming I want to replace 8 - 10 POTS lines coming in with
someone like NuFone or TELIAX...  It would seem to be well worth
spending an extra $40/mnth for an extra DSL connection for redundancy
(probably with two different ISPs) - so, is there any way to get
asterisk to route calls based on the quality of a connection at any
given time?  If I had 2 DSL connections and Asterisk is registered to
2-3 different service providers - can asterisk do some sort of "load
balancing" of calls?

Thanks,

Dave Redmore