[Asterisk-Users] Build on Itanium fails

Jonas Arndt jonas_arndt at comcast.net
Tue Aug 9 13:36:17 MST 2005

Dave,

A segmentation fault is usually caused by the program writing in a
memory area that is not allocated (it could be a result of the optimizer
sometime as well). That means that it can potentially overwrite code
that are executing there. In worst case scenario you could even cause a
kernel Oops. A software that discovers that it is missing a conf file
will obviously have a potential of not working. However, instead of
writing in a memory area that it has not allocated, it should inform
about the situation in a log file

Now, if you are putting a software on the market that would take down
your system just because you are missing or having an incorrect
configuration file, you will find a lot of people seeing that as a bug.
Imagine ntp segfault and coredump just because the /etc/ntp.conf is not
there.

I think my problem is caused by the 32 versus 64 bits difference on
Itanium. Belive me, I have seen this before.

Anybody out there with experience of compiling this animal on Itanium?

By the way, I just built it and ran it on another architecture. Without
the conf files and there was no segmentation fault.

Thanks,

// Jonas

Anyhow, I think