[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk to PSTN

Bryce Chidester bryce at rhinoequipment.com
Tue Aug 9 11:12:08 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 10:59 -0700, Edwin Lam wrote:
> hi folks.
>
> i'm planning to connect * to 120 POTS line. i've done some research
> on FXO cards but unfortunately most manufacturers only make 4 ports/card.
> the most i've found is 12 ports. so do i have to get 10 of these cards
> and setup 3 Asterisk servers (assuming each have 4 free PCI slots) link
> them together with some insane dialplan? or is there an easier way?
>
> any suggestions? comments? remarks? parameters?
> thx.

You're going about things all wrong if you're looking at 120 FXO lines.
In such high quantities, you want to look at either 5 FXO channel banks
connected to a quad-port and a single-port T1 card[s], or, more sensibly
with that many lines, order 5 T1s (24 channels each), or a T2 (96
channels) and a T1 (24), or a T3 (672 channels) from your carrier (all
of which require the same number of ports.) If you can't get away from
120 copper pairs, then you'll have to go the channel bank route.

--
-Bryce
bryce at rhinoequipment.com

NOTICE: The views expressed in this e-mail do not neccesarily reflect
those of my employer, this company, or its employees. This is a personal
e-mail and as such, the opinions expressed are my own.