[Asterisk-Users] T1 versus PRI

pabelanger at codeslingers.ca pabelanger at codeslingers.ca
Tue Aug 9 06:30:05 MST 2005

Hello,

T1 CAS - Usually people with provision there lines for T1, for transfers (Blind
/ Hookflash transfer).  It is usually easier to setup.  The downside is all
information is passed inband.  ANI and DNIS is usually supported, but that it
it.  24 channels of voice.

T1 PRI - With ISDN, the major advantage is the amount of data you can access.
There are 23B (voice) and 1D channel on every PRI.  Because information is
passed out-of-band, there are information elements available to extract the
data from (ANI, DNIS, CallerName, etc).  Transfer are a little more tricky,
TBCT or RLT are the formats, but the switch has to support this.  Also, when
doing a TBCT you will required a 2nd channel from the PRI for the setup back to
the switch (this only takes a few seconds, but it is 1 less channel no able to
answer incoming calls).

As for T1 CAS (robbed bit), I don't see a difference at all on answer compared
to PRI.

Usually, if you have to connect to an existing PBX, people will use a LineSide
T1 (T1 CAS (robbed bit) running the LoopStart protocol); atleast all the
installs I have done.

PB

Quoting gw at adcomcorp.com: