[Asterisk-Users] Can call from iax extn but cannot call it -unableto cteate channel iax

brett at websmyths.com brett at websmyths.com
Sun Aug 7 13:36:02 MST 2005

On 8/7/2005, "John Novack" <jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org> wrote:

>brett at websmyths.com wrote:
><snip>
>
>> I am not just picking on you Angus.  I do tend to read almost every
>> message coming through the list and I get tired of reading all the
>> questions that 5 minutes of reading the configuration files or
>> searching the wiki (as out of date as it is) or even typing 'help' at
>> the CLI prompt can remedy.
>>
>> Guess I'm just getting old...
>
> Guess we all are, but that is better than the other choice.
> Many of us read all the posts, and some of us really get tired of a
> small number who continue to complain and write paragraphs on those who
> aren't able to either find the information they need or understand it
> when they do.

Well - the part snipped was the training part... 8-)

> There is a large disparity between the beginner and those who have lived
> with this camel ( Asterisk ) for months to years.
> Help from the CLI leaves a LOT to be desired. The Wiki is either
> correct, outdated, or wrong depending on which of the 1000 flavors of
> Asterisk one happens to have settled on, usually because it mostly works
> I could go on, but you get the idea.

I think everyone gets that idea.

> If you can help, do so, as someone else did for this fellow in just a
> few characters
> If all you can do is berate someone else for not reading and
> UNDERSTANDING, or assume they didn't find the answer in the bushels of
> poorly organized sometimes correct information, then just move on to the
>
> John Novack ( old fart )

Well - us old farts have to stand together (no one will stand near
anyway).
But I don't think just saying 'use IAX2' is going to enlighten anyone.
That's why I included the whole Dial(Technology/resource) definition.
There has to be a channel driver for the technology and the technology has
to have a configuration file to assign the resources. I put that all in
there so he could UNDERSTAND. And maybe others reading the list could
understand it as well. And I guess IAX2 vs. IAX is a real bad example. LOL