[Asterisk-Users] Very complicated dialplans?

Eric Wieling aka ManxPower eric at fnords.org
Sat Aug 6 10:56:25 MST 2005

Robert Goodyear wrote:

>>> Excuse me?
>>>

>> r: Generate a ringing tone for the calling party, passing no audio  from
>> the called channel(s) until one answers. Use with care and don't  insert
>> this by default into all your dial statements as you are killing call
>> progress information for the user. Really, you almost certainly do not
>> want to use this. Asterisk will generate ring tones automatically  where
>> it is appropriate to do so. "r" makes it go the next step and
>> additionally generate ring tones where it is probably not  appropriate to
>> do so.
>

> Can you educate us all on the appropriate circumstances in which to  use
> 'r'?

When you want to override the normal call progress tones.

For example, when a caller presses "0" in voicemail to be transfered to
the user's cell phone, the cell phone telco may play a message to the
caller WITHOUT ANSWERING the call.  One common message is something like
"The subscriber you have dialed is either out of the area or has their
phone turned off".  I don't want callers to hear that message and
hangup.  So in this one specific situation I use the "r" option to dial
so the caller hears a ringing tone no matter what the carrier sends
back.  Then the Dial timeout can expire and the caller can be sent back
to the user's mailbox (assuming the cell carrier didn't answer the call
and send it to the cell phones voicemail).

--
Eric Wieling * BTEL Consulting * 504-210-3699 x2120