[Asterisk-Users] Switchboards

Tom Hayden thayden at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 12:47:53 MST 2005

Well Don, it depends on how you get things setup from your telco. You
could get a T1/PRI (or E1) and just trunk all your calls. Then you
could have DIDs for each employee along with a primary number, which
could receive multiple calls at a time (it's just a DID).  If you go
with the POTS solution, then you'll need to get a channel bank and do
things that way.  Frankly, it would be a hell-of-a-lot-easier and
cheaper if you got trunked calls.  Why buy 23 POTS channels when you
can probably get an equivalent number of channels + DIDs for much less
money?

--
Tom Hayden
Astoria Telecom, LLC

On 8/5/05, Don Brearley <donbrearley at hibbing.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am still researching my dive into Asterisk at my workplace, and I was wondering about how switchboard
> activities are handled..   Right now, a call comes into our switchboard, and the operator forwards them
> to the appropriate line, thus freeing up the primary number and allowing more calls in.  Everyone on
> campus has a direct-dial line as it is right now.  I want to eliminate most of those lines, and switch everyone
> to extensions instead.
>
> If I understand correctly, with Asterisk, i'll need to figure out how many lines are in use at any time
> (i'll say 20% to be safe) -- so I'll need to have roughly 25-30 POTS lines "on standby" for inbound calls?
>
> The way I see it in my head is, a call comes in on the primary number, and the operator will forward
> them to the correct extension, and Asterisk will route the call to another circuit, freeing up the
> primary line.  Is this correct?
>
> (Sorry for my lack of correct terminology.. still getting familiar!)
>
> - Don

Tom