[Asterisk-Users] what phones support this when running with asterisk

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Wed Aug 3 06:47:19 MST 2005

Tim Litwiller wrote:

> I've been using * at home at my house for while and like it but for
> work I didn't know the answers to these questions.
>
> But now my new employer is wanting to upgrade a very old phone system
> and wants to make sure our new system has some features
> I've talked to him about using asterisk and he put this on the
> "required"  options list.
>
> a button with a  light for each incoming physical line and a button
> and light for each user and the ability to transfer a call by pressing
> hold and then that users button.

Better look into other systems.
Asterisk and SIP can't yet handle this  COMMON requirement.
See other postings regarding this very subject.
Asterisk is not yet " ready for prime time " in this arena.
Asterisk IS NOT a Hybrid key/pbx, which is what you really are asking for
Users want buttons and lights, access and status of lines, and most want
handsfree intercom as well.
Many good and affordable choices, depending on your country, number of
lines and  number of stations.
For small requirements, under 12 lines and 32 stations, Panasonic,  and
NEC  have affordable systems available in the US through supply houses,
or at higher cost off of eBay , new.

If you are replacing an existing wired system, you may even be able to
install yourself

> and on the "wants but not required" list
> a way for each user to automatically have a call log and tapi (click
> to dial) on windows xp desktops
> a way to push a record button on the phone to record on demand.

Check your laws on recording. In the US this varies from state to state,
and could result in a serious problem.

John Novack