[Asterisk-Users] SIP phone procedural question

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Aug 3 07:13:10 MST 2005

> A lot of my customers have people who are in the office most of the time but occasionally
wish to work from home.  So they may have a sip
> phone which is extension 208 in the office.  When they work from home they can of course
plug in a sip phone into their broadband
> connection and work with that.  But it would be ideal if they could be same extension as
phone in office.  If they try to register as same sip
> user - eg extn 208 - will it work.  Then problem is phone on their desk will still ring
p***ing all their colleagues off.

> How do people deal with this sort of thing.  Ideally, would want person to be able to easily
switch from office to home but use same
> extension.
>
> Or does sip somehow deal with this?  Is there a standard sip way of dealing with this?

You should be able to find multiple ways to do that on the wiki.
Use keywords such as call forwarding in the search.

One way to do it for x1234 (as a high level example only) is to:
 - assign 9234 as a call forward "control" extension
 - employee dials x9234
 - asterisk writes a value into the db (see "show application dbput")
 - when a call is sent to x1234, dialplan code checks for value using
   dbget.
 - if value is set, ring at-home extension; if not set, ring at-office
   extension (eg, x1234).

If you want to make the above a little more sophisticated, when the
user dials x9234 prompt the user for which extension to forward his
calls to and write that to the db. When a call arrives, the call is
call-forwarded to whatever extension the user entered.

Want to complicate that more, write a macro to do that for all extens.