[Asterisk-Users] Re: Minimum CPU required for >60 calls

M O martinoshield at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 2 09:23:08 MST 2005

Adam,

I thought Andrew Kohlsmith gave the individual good
advice without intentionally malaciously spitting in
the guys face.

For the question, " 'Whats the ' Minimum CPU required
for 60 calls? "

I think a Pentium 3, high end, which is cheap right
now, should do fine, but you will need either 3 T-1s
or
arrange for the calls to come in via SIP, but you will
still need more than a DSL connection as you bandwidth
connection.

See also my replies below:

>Message: 20
>Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 09:55:20 -0400
>From: Adam Dobrin <adam at emplifyhr.com>
>Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Minimum CPU required
for >60 calls
	<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>

>And as much as you dislike these kinds of questions;
>its unfortunate that the community doesn't have any
>good answers to them available--they should be.

Adam, join in and share your experiences.

This is how this stuff grows :)

>It would be great if we could get some independent
>verification of digium's claims/figures.

You brought up a valuable point, and I think, along
with you grabbing some hardware, you can help "Verify"
whatever Asterisk related questions you may have with
the so called Digium.  LOL, they created it!

I mean, Adam, think that those Digium peoples threw
Asterisk out in the street without charging us a
penny.!  I'm with you, (NOT!), Digium owes us all!!!!

Relax dude, and check out here:

Dimensioning an Asterisk system

Typical questions asked on the mailing asterisk-users
are:

How fast/big must my machine be in order to serve my
needs?

How many simultaneous calls can Asterisk handle?

http://voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+dimensioning

#  (May 05) In my testing of CVS-HEAD I can get 5551+
sip "sessions" without media on asterisk without a
problem (testing with only 1 SIP user). The load
average is around 2-3. On a side note... on my 3ghz P4
HT box I can get 629 ulaw sip calls with media
(verified) without a problem. The load average on the
box was around 14 and it still sounded perfect... so
if you had a dual 3.4 ghz Xeon box you should have
ZERO problems doing a DS3 with asterisk. (That is if
the interrupt is 1000 per second and not 28000 and its
all ulaw) ... note that if you do not set the ulimit
-n 100000 or something similar efore you start
asterisk you'll run out of FD's around 151 calls.

# (May 05) But the real scalability wall I've seen is
number of registered peers... That's what takes down a
box (at least with IAX). I've heard reports of a Dual
Xeon 3.2GHz not being able to handle even 1000 IAX
peers. ... I managed to get about 2500 users online on
one box by modifying iax2.h (reg expire changed from
from 60 to 240 seconds) decent IAX clients will comply
with that setting .. b.t.w. don't go higher, because
many NAT gateways will close their dynamic NAT
mappings after 300 secs, a few some even after 30
secs!

# (May 05) While you may not choose to put 10k users
on Asterisk, I have. Many more, as a matter of fact.
Some of these systems were simply media/application
servers, while some handled registrations as well.
While I agree that Asterisk needs some help on
registration volumes and scaling, I'd not sell it
short so quickly. At the moment, the only reason I
still would use SER would be for the registration and
call processing/loadbalance speed - Asterisk provides
all that I need for back-end call processing.

Adam, if the above is too much for you, you could
ALWAYS pay Signate $18,000 for the below description:

#  (Apr 05) Signate Telephony Server 5000&#65533;s 51
Gigabits per second I/O capacity sustains more than
5,000 Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) call streams
per module using 80% of the capacity of a gigabit
network. Up to eight uniquely scalable modules can
share a 6.4GB/second interconnect based on SGI
technology that enables a coordinated system
supporting over 40,000 simultaneous call streams.

Adam, for $18,000, this sounds like your Asterisk
machine.  I think I can build like 5 of these machines
for $18,000 ;)

The question itself is " Frustrating " as those in the
" Know " may not want to tell the world, but I have
heard that Platinum Tel, a prepaid seller of wireless
phones here in Chicago, uses Asterisk in some form of
GSM/CDMA gateway. :)  And no I dont know if it is true
or not, but you can always call them and ask.

You will only know the answer by " Hopping in the
swimming pool ".  Remember, check out the
Voip-info.org wiki where it lists the Motherboards /
Hardware that creates issues for Asterisk.

Then avoid those, and run with what is posted that
works like the above links.

For me, a Dell PowerEdge 2850 with 2 Gigs DDR2 Ram,
and Dual Xeon 3.0Ghz processor with SCSI HD, RAID
Controller, and 2 GIGe Ethernet ports, should place me
at the 5500+ Sip concurrent sip calls.

Starting bandwidth for me, 100Mbps. ;)

I have Initial quantity of 20,000 calling
cards/callers depending on the above hardware with my
understanding that 5500+ concurrent callers is my
limit, though,
if I spend the additioanl $5000 for 8 GIGs of DDR2
Ram, I *MIGHT* be able to do alot more concurrent SIP
callers.  The above will be my test to start.

We will see, as I have never done this before and am
doing what I am suggessting you do: " Just do it and
find out as you go along "

Respectfully speaking,

SoftwareRadioGuy

voip-info:
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+setup+medium+office+100

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

>On Tuesday 02 August 2005 06:16, Obelix wrote:
>

>>I am interested in how much CPU and RAM asterisk
requires for call
>>handling.
>>

>I *really* dislike these kinds of questions.
>
>Grab some hardware and try it.  It is the *ONLY* way
you will know for
sure.
>Grab a single processor Pentium 4 or Celeron system
and do some
testing.  I'm
>sure you have one sitting around somewhere you can
use for a test,
even if
>you have to put a different hard drive in it for the
test.

>Typically speaking, if you have to ask these kinds of
questions you
are
>NOWHERE near the level of competence in Asterisk to
try and skimp and
save on
>the hardware.  That is not meant as an insult,
either.  Get it
working, THEN
>start looking to pinch the pennies.  You will only be
disappointed
otherwise.