[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960s and skinny

Julien Goodwin asterisk-lists at studio442.com.au
Sat Apr 30 20:20:36 MST 2005

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 01:00:18PM -0500, Andy Hamilton arranged a set of bits into the following:
> I'll be able to get back to you Sunday night about specifics; the
> phone is not where I am right now. Using chan_sccp, (I think November
> 2004 or so CVS Head) I know I can receive calls, place calls, etc. It
> is a rather low volume phone, so I don't know off hand about specific
> keys; I'll check those later.
Generally if the phone supports the function, and support is in
chan_sccp for that function it will work for all phones.

> Additionally, I have not yet tried a new copy from CVS.

> Occasionally, I think the chan_sccp driver blips out in Asterisk (it
> may be the phone; I've had it apart several times because the on/off
> hook switch membrane is a little sketchy). I have dealt with this by
That's one of the big things that causes problems, both with chan_sccp
and the phones themselves, both get a little confused. However several
other crash issues have been recently fixed, so running CVS_HEAD is
advised.

> restarting Asterisk. The only other thing I can say right now about
> the 7910 is that it and my Cisco FastHub don't get along. At all. I
> have the 7910 plugged into my 7960.
That's odd, the only time I've ever had ethernet incompatabilities was
with a very cheap switch.

> Overall, I would say that if you have a non-critical system and would
> like to use a 7910, chan_sccp should be able to handle it fine.
> However, if you budget permits, the 7960 and 7940 phones are quite
> nice (use SIP with those -- it's far more reliable. I must say,
> though, that my 7960 has frozen/crashed a handful of time when running
> the SIP image. That was the phone itself, Asterisk was fine.) I have
> yet to purchase a 7905 or 7912, but I've played around with some
> 7912's on a CCM system -- they seem quite nice and I think they take
> SIP.
Yep, they do. (Don't know about the 7902, but really can't see why
anyone would buy one)

>The 7920 is also nice because it's wireless. However, I don't
> think Cisco has anything but a Skinny image for it [yet].
No they don't, and forget the yet, if a phone isn't announced with SIP
support it probably never will have it (witness: 7935/6, 7970)

> I would stick with SIP wherever you can.
And I agree

Thanks,
Julien
chan_sccp project lead