[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960s and skinny

Andy Hamilton ciscophonefreak at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 11:00:18 MST 2005

Anton:

I'll be able to get back to you Sunday night about specifics; the
phone is not where I am right now. Using chan_sccp, (I think November
2004 or so CVS Head) I know I can receive calls, place calls, etc. It
is a rather low volume phone, so I don't know off hand about specific
keys; I'll check those later.
Additionally, I have not yet tried a new copy from CVS.

Occasionally, I think the chan_sccp driver blips out in Asterisk (it
may be the phone; I've had it apart several times because the on/off
hook switch membrane is a little sketchy). I have dealt with this by
restarting Asterisk. The only other thing I can say right now about
the 7910 is that it and my Cisco FastHub don't get along. At all. I
have the 7910 plugged into my 7960.

Overall, I would say that if you have a non-critical system and would
like to use a 7910, chan_sccp should be able to handle it fine.
However, if you budget permits, the 7960 and 7940 phones are quite
nice (use SIP with those -- it's far more reliable. I must say,
though, that my 7960 has frozen/crashed a handful of time when running
the SIP image. That was the phone itself, Asterisk was fine.) I have
yet to purchase a 7905 or 7912, but I've played around with some
7912's on a CCM system -- they seem quite nice and I think they take
SIP. The 7920 is also nice because it's wireless. However, I don't
think Cisco has anything but a Skinny image for it [yet].

I would stick with SIP wherever you can.

-Andy