[Asterisk-Users] chan_zap graceful failure

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Apr 29 13:21:03 MST 2005

On April 29, 2005 02:54 pm, Jeb Campbell wrote:
> I agree that it should be a very loud error (and possibly repeated
> notifications on the console).  But I also think that it should be able
> to limp along.  What would you think of a commercial phone system that
> completely dies when one port dies?

That's a very good point.

> I appreciate your points (thats why I wanted to discuss this), maybe we
> could satisfy both with an option in zapata.conf (keepgoing=yes)?

hehe I am not the biggest fan of allowing the system to do absolutely
everything by "just adding an option" -- it makes the code behind the app
hideous.

This is basically a little different that a port going bad -- this is the
channel driver failing.  I would imagine plenty of phone systems will not
fail nicely if a core module dies; this is akin to what chan_zap is doing.  A
channel dying (phone unplugged, T1 red alarm) ... neither will cause asterisk
to die.

-A.