[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Hardware Architecture Group

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 13:22:22 MST 2005

On 4/29/05, Daniel Salama <dsalama at user.net> wrote:
> I think that would be a great idea. The only problem I see is that
> Asterisk is growing its feature set and maturing at such a dynamic
> rate, that I don't know in many cases, where to point the finger at.
> Sometimes it's stability of the CVS version, sometimes it's stability
> of Digium or whose ever interfaces, and yet sometimes it's issues with
> actual hardware architecture.
>
> I wouldn't mind participating in such an effort, but that may just
> create parallel lists or problem reports that may be so tightly related
> that one list would take away knowledge from the other.
>
> Comments?

I'm thinking that the most reliable information about * hardware would
be from vendors that build and install * systems.  I know when we
purchase mission critical freebsd/linux boxes we have specific vendors
we go through because they know exactly what works and what doesn't.

Plus, Vendors have the cash to test out various systems.  If you start
an open group of some type, where are you going to get your hands on
the type of hardware that people will actually be using?

That said, I haven't actually seen any vendors that build custom
systems for stock * installations.  I've seen some dell poweredge
systems out there, but to me that means the vendor is just using the
best bang for the buck hardware and dropping in some digium cards.

Personally I would buy an * box from someone like asaservers.com.  At
least companies like that really know their hardware, and if you tell
them the common issues with * they could probably put together a rock
solid system.

Chris