[Asterisk-Users] chan_zap graceful failure

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Apr 29 09:55:32 MST 2005

On April 29, 2005 12:38 pm, Jeb Campbell wrote:
> While I like the idea (and will look into it -- might need a wait, etc),
> as I said in original post, unloading and reloading did not fix the
> problem.  It took a clean shutdown (unload and restart) to fix the problem.

Hmm; that is odd...

> So regardless of why the card has failed, I would like to discuss making
> chan_zap fail gracefully.  For example if you have a
> Dial(Zap/3/${NUMBER}, and Zap/3 does not exist, asterisk will spit a
> warning (not fail to startup).  However if you have that channel => 3 in
> zapata.conf, chan_zap will fail and prevent asterisk from starting.
>
> I would think that everyone would prefer asterisk to start and have
> parts of the dialplan fail, rather than have asterisk not load at all.

No; if the driver didn't load that's a major problem.  Remember that if the
channel doesn't exist all the subsequent channels "move up"...  serious
potential security issues.

I'd rather have the system as it is, where it fails out with an error that is
easy to understand so I can fix the problem.

-A.