[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Hardware Recommendation

mattf mattf at vicimarketing.com
Fri Apr 29 07:21:00 MST 2005

If price would truly not an option just get one of the Signate Telephony
5000 servers(http://www.signate.com/pbx.php) They are about $18,000 and
allow you to have upto 5000 SIP streams go through it. You could have that
be your gateway and do the SIP->IAX through that machine and scale upto 100
T1s if you want.

But that is a bit steep. So on to your choices. I would really say that the
setup you choose will depend on what kind of users you have as well as how
often you need to change/add users to the system and how the users are using
the system at what times. Any of them that you listed could work depending
on how they are used, but in some cases you may not want to use some of the
scenarios listed because they would either be incapable of meeting your
needs or overly complex to manage.

The easiest and cheapest one would actually not be listed:
Scenario 6:
Direct SIP->Zap on two separate servers half SIP users on each server
PSTN <--2xT1--> A1 <----> SIP_Agents
PSTN <--2xT1--> A2 <----> SIP_Agents

There is really no reason to have another 2 servers running IAX to the T1
servers, and this is simple and easy to set up and involves only 2 machines.

The next setup I would recommend would be Scenario 4, although you will have
to get a machine with a fast/wide BUS(like an Apple G5) to handle ever
increasing numbers of SIP->IAX streams as the system would grow.

If you can explain more about what kind of use this system will have I can
give a better recommendation.

MATT---