[Asterisk-Users] Digium Quad Span Cards

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Tue Apr 26 09:58:26 MST 2005

Initially, I believed that the limitation was the PCI bus, but I was
mistaken.  There is a lot of confusion surrounding this issue, and it
would be great if someone stepped forward with a concrete answer.  That
said, here's what I've learned about the issue through my research.

We started off asking a Digium representative about putting 4 quad-span
cards in a single machine and got the following response:
- I'd use two machines, with two quad cards each.  And then, I'd need to
be using only the G.711 ulaw protocol.  Then, I'd still use a  mid-range
dual Xeon CPU machine in the 2.4GHz+ spectrum.

David Mandelstam of the Asterisk Biz List provided me with this explanation:
- Zaptel drivers produce at least one interrupt per millisecond per
board, which is minimal if the interrupt handlers are short. But on a
heavily loaded machine doing lots of echo cancellation, each interrupt
can approach 1 millisecond in length. So if there are interrupts coming
from several cards, you can see how you could get into trouble.

So it looks like processor interrupts are the culprit.

Possible solutions to this problem include (please feel free to add to
this list):
- An Asterisk slave server pool (
http://home.comcast.net/~mroth01/LargeAsteriskSetup.gif )
- A TDM-VoIP gateway (Cisco, Quintum, AudioCodes, Lucent)
- Using Sangoma cards (As per David Mandelstam, Sangoma cards use
proprietary drivers and there are operational setups using 4 quads per
machine)

I'm not confident that the Asterisk software scales well under certain
conditions, such as using Monitor to digitally record 16 spans of voice
channels, so solving the card issue may not be the last step in a large
installation.  If anyone has any insight on this, please post it to the
list.

Hope that was helpful,

Matthew Roth
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Running%20Asterisk%20on%20Debian