[Asterisk-Users] Alternatives to SpanDSP??

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Apr 26 05:57:50 MST 2005

On April 26, 2005 08:12 am, Steve Underwood wrote:
> Why would you expect a bunch of fax modems to work any better than
> spandsp? If spandsp doesn't work reliably your system is very likely
> broken.

I've had spandsp crash out on some kind of floating point error about a half
dozen times over about 250 faxes.... When it crashes it takes Asterisk down
with it.  These systems are SuperMicro Xeon server-class systems, no
overclocking, RAM was tested overnight with memtest86, no-nonsense, nothing
funny type machines.  SpanDSP and Asterisk were both compiled with the same
compiler without any oddball optimizations (just whatever's in the default
makefiles).

It's a bitch to try and reconstruct, but it's the only reason I'm not using
spandsp in production; when I was using spandsp I had it on a completely
separate machine on the local LAN to avoid the spandsp crashes from taking
the voice part down.

-A.