[Asterisk-Users] Broadvoice Down?

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Mon Apr 25 14:36:31 MST 2005

Kerry Garrison wrote:

> While we have only been using Broadvoice for a few months now, we have
> actually had better service through them than with our PSTN provider.
> You could just as easily have had a voice T1 go down which typically
> takes a few hours to replace (and may be the actual problem). The
> issue is not with Broadvoice as a service as much as it seems to be a
> peering problem.
>
> Yes these issues make you and your company look bad in so much as it
> shows that you do not have a properly designed redundant system. Do
> you back up your server every night even though you only lose a file
> once a year? So why wouldn't you have a failover on your phone system?
>
> Its very easy to blame Broadvoice for your phone service being out
> (and I am not defending them) but that is ONE connection. Any business
> that is highly reliant on their phones for business should have a
> backup system just for this reason. Possibly even multiple backups
> depending on the critical nature of the business.
>
> I have seen businesses completely lose telephone service on standard
> PSTN lines for a day or more at a time. So sh** happens, be prepared.
> Dont put all your eggs in one basket. This is a perfect example of why.
>
> Kerry Garrison
> http://techdatapros.com

I do have failover; I am using another service that is not voip based.
Fortunately only a few clients know about the new BV number.
This makes me reluctant to switch over completely.

How exactly could you failover using such a provider?
Outbound calling failover is easy; just have another provider and set
them up as a trunk.
Inbound which relies on them and the DID provided to work is a bit more
complicated.
Sure you could do the same, but other than 'call this other number if
this number is down' how do you failover?
The only way I can think of is get a regular pots line in and have it
forward on busy to BV and have both answer in asterisk.

Are DID's portable?

JD

--
JD Austin