[Asterisk-Users] Broadvoice Down?

Kerry Garrison kerryg at techdatapros.com
Mon Apr 25 13:25:14 MST 2005

While we have only been using Broadvoice for a few months now, we have
actually had better service through them than with our PSTN provider. You
could just as easily have had a voice T1 go down which typically takes a few
hours to replace (and may be the actual problem). The issue is not with
Broadvoice as a service as much as it seems to be a peering problem.

Yes these issues make you and your company look bad in so much as it shows
that you do not have a properly designed redundant system. Do you back up
your server every night even though you only lose a file once a year? So why
wouldn't you have a failover on your phone system?

Its very easy to blame Broadvoice for your phone service being out (and I am
not defending them) but that is ONE connection. Any business that is highly
reliant on their phones for business should have a backup system just for
this reason. Possibly even multiple backups depending on the critical nature
of the business.

I have seen businesses completely lose telephone service on standard PSTN
lines for a day or more at a time. So sh** happens, be prepared. Dont put
all your eggs in one basket. This is a perfect example of why.

Kerry Garrison
http://techdatapros.com

  _____