[Asterisk-Users] Can Asterisk do the following for me ?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Apr 25 03:54:35 MST 2005

On April 25, 2005 12:25 am, Kerry Garrison wrote:
> What year is this? 2005 right? Doesn't everyone on the planet know that you
> get what you pay for these days? If you want to experiment with Asterisk
> there is nothing wrong with using clone X100P cards at $6.95 a pop. If you

No there is something very wrong with experimenting with Asterisk with a $7
clone card.  When it doesn't work the lists get flamed, Asterisk gets blamed,
and the experimenter leaves with a bad taste in his mouth about the whole
VOIP process.

If you're new to Asterisk, use Digium hardware.  Once you understand what's
going on, buy whatever cheapass shit you can find, at least you'll KNOW that
the system does work with the right hardware.

> fork over some cash for a quality piece of equipment. If you are really
> diving into Asterisk, you would probably want to get the developer's kit
> just so you are working with equipment that you will most likely be using
> in a production environment. For us, our demo systems and backup systems
> run clone cards but our production systems all use Digium cards.

You've got it completely and utterly backward.  Until you know what you're
doing you have no idea whether the problem is with the card, with Asterisk,
with your system or with your configuration.  By using known good cards you
eliminate two of those potential sources, *AND* you get Digium's technical
support department to help with the rest.

-A.