[Asterisk-Users] Large Asterisk Setup (~500 Concurrent Calls + Scalability)

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Thu Apr 21 14:52:30 MST 2005

Daniel,

I would be interested to hear if anyone knows of a method to completely
offload the Monitor command from the master server.  It is the missing
piece of the puzzle to optimizing the digital recording process.

I'm assuming that the CPU usage you are referring to would be incurred
due to converting the input and output packets from their codec to WAV
format.  Please correct me if I'm wrong in that assumption.  I see the
benefits of offloading that CPU usage to another machine, but I'm not
sure if it's possible or how to implement it if it is.

One benefit of the design that you overlooked is the offloading of disk
I/O.  In this application that may not make a big difference, but it
does allow us to do the mixing and compression to MP3 on a separate
machine.  Both of those activities are CPU intensive.

You're correct that if we instructed the Monitor command to mix the
files the mixing would occur on the master server.  I looked at the
documentation and source (res_monitor.c) of the Monitor command to
confirm that the default behavior is to NOT mix the files.  The options
argument must contain the character 'm' for the mixing to occur.  We
will be executing the Monitor command WITHOUT mixing, then running a
periodic process on the Digital Recording Client to mix the files and
compress the result to an MP3.

Thanks for your interest,

Matthew Roth
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Running%20Asterisk%20on%20Debian