[Asterisk-Users] Recommended Linux Dist. for Asterisk

David Choo DavidChoo at espore.com
Thu Apr 21 08:35:41 MST 2005

We used gentoo internally. I also have * running on CentOS, RHEL.

Best Regards,

==============================
David Choo
Systems Engineer
Business & Technology Division
"Engineered for Changing Businesses"
Espore Corp Pte Ltd
68 Kallang Pudding Rd
#04-03 SYH Logistics Bldg
Singapore 349327
Tel: 65-68487806
Fax : 65-6842 2724
E-mail :DavidChoo at Espore.com
=============================

Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message. If
you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy it or use it for any
purpose, nor deliver this message to anyone. Instead, please delete this
message and destroy any other record of it immediately and kindly notify
the sender by return email. Thank you for your co-operation.

Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, arrive late, or contain
viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the context of this message nor can the sender guarantee that
this message is virus free.

             Michael George
             <george at mutualdat
             a.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  Asterisk Users Mailing List -
             asterisk-users-bo         Non-Commercial Discussion
             unces at lists.digiu         <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
             m.com                                                      cc

                                                                   Subject
             21/04/2005 10:31          Re: [Asterisk-Users] Recommended
             PM                        Linux Dist. for Asterisk

             Please respond to
              Asterisk Users
              Mailing List -
              Non-Commercial
                Discussion
             <asterisk-users at l
             ists.digium.com>

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 10:26:33PM -0500, Paul Shiflet wrote:
> I'm trying to find out what flavor of Linux people are choosing for their
> asterisk boxes. I have been using RH, but i'd like to try some different
> ones. It seems that RH is the common denominator in this rash of line
> noise problems. So some suggestions for what dist to use would be great.

We use gentoo.  Many people would not go that route, but we use that on our
servers because when we are ready to update it, we can do so with less pain
than with RHL/Fedora and SuSE, etc.  The updates of the latter usually go
okay, but there comes the time when we need to change major releases and
that
should be done with a clean reinstall.

Now, with * you don't really need to do any changing as it will just sit
there
and work for the most part.  However, since we have gentoo in many of our
systems, we just stick with that.

The ports in gentoo stay pretty current and it's worked fine for us.  YMMV,
and as I said above, gentoo is probably not the route for many who have
little
linux experience.

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
             Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.
To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: