[Asterisk-Users] Recommended Linux Dist. for Asterisk

Michael George george at mutualdata.com
Thu Apr 21 07:31:47 MST 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 10:26:33PM -0500, Paul Shiflet wrote:
> I'm trying to find out what flavor of Linux people are choosing for their
> asterisk boxes. I have been using RH, but i'd like to try some different
> ones. It seems that RH is the common denominator in this rash of line
> noise problems. So some suggestions for what dist to use would be great.

We use gentoo.  Many people would not go that route, but we use that on our
servers because when we are ready to update it, we can do so with less pain
than with RHL/Fedora and SuSE, etc.  The updates of the latter usually go
okay, but there comes the time when we need to change major releases and that
should be done with a clean reinstall.

Now, with * you don't really need to do any changing as it will just sit there
and work for the most part.  However, since we have gentoo in many of our
systems, we just stick with that.

The ports in gentoo stay pretty current and it's worked fine for us.  YMMV,
and as I said above, gentoo is probably not the route for many who have little
linux experience.

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
	Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.