[Asterisk-Users] ZyXEL Router Terrible Voice Quality

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Wed Apr 20 21:00:24 MST 2005

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Aza wrote:

[DELETED]

> I seem to have found a solution to the problem I had with a ZyXEL Prestige
> 2000 series ATA. It looks like these things just can't cope with NAT no
> matter what you do with Asterisk, STUN servers or SIP Proxies. Specifically
> the voice quality of the person speaking through the ZyXEL is more chopped
> up then a diced onion if you're going through NAT.

Yeah.. SIP doesn't deal with NAT very well. What a retarded design
limitation. If you need to punch through NAT, you can do it by opening
ports (as you discovered), using STUN (if your ATA supports it) or by
simply avoiding NAT altoghter.

Me? I'd get a Digium IAXY and just be done with it.

                             KP-216-121-ST