[Asterisk-Users] ZyXEL Router Terrible Voice Quality

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 14:17:29 MST 2005

> > > I've had pretty good luck with the Zoom X5V Voice Modem so far. It has a
> > > built in DSL modem, and a single FXS port. Decent little router, now that
> > > the latest firmware is out, but tcp and udp timeouts through NAT seem to
> > > be set a little low, so I lose SSH sessions.
> >
> > I bought a dozen and have had bad luck with them. I couldn't keep an ssh
> > session for more than 15 seconds. Trying to update firmware turned two of
> > them into paperweights. I couldn't get the FXS to ever register.
> >
> > Other than that, it looked like a good idea. Is the NAT timeout
> > configurable now?
>
> Not sure. I'm unable to open a ticket with Zoom technical support on the
> issue.

I had an interesting experience with the zoom.  Their SIP
implementation doesnt' expect to see SIP traffic on the internal lan,
and running * on the internal lan would lock up the modem.  Completely
repeatable, just start up * and the modem locks up hard, lights go
solid, etc..

Tech support didn't seem to think that this was an issue, and told me
that they only supported voip using their own service.  Tried telling
them that regardless of what they support, if traffic on the lan locks
up the modem, it's a bug.  I finally just returned the unit and got my
money back.

Chris