[Asterisk-Users] Help compiling zaptel in Debian

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Tue Apr 19 14:58:17 MST 2005

Manuel,

Here are a couple suggestions:

1) I see that your modules directory is "/lib/modules/2.4.20-686", while
mine is "/lib/modules/2.4.19".  Maybe your kernel source directory also
has a "-686" appended to it.  Verify the location of your kernel source
and adjust the ln statements accordingly.  Keep in mind that "ln -s"
will create a symbolic link to a target that does not exist without
printing any messages.

2) Verify that gcc's output looks normal when it is compiling "ztd-eth.c".

3) From
"http://voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20Zaptel%20Installation"
        If you get problems with 'depmod -a' announcing unresolved
symbols, then
            * try running 'depmod -ae' to see the names of the symbols
it can't resolve. Maybe the names can give a hint where to look next.
            * make sure you're using the latest versions of the various
development tools (gcc etc)
            * make sure you've got the kernel source, kernel headers,
and kernel image all at a matching version.
What version of gcc are you using?  Type "gcc -v" at the command line to
find out.  I'm at 3.3.5 and I had to do some tinkering with apt to
access testing sources in order to upgrade to it.  Let me know if you'd
like documentation on the steps I took.

Matthew Roth
http://voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Running%20Asterisk%20on%20Debian