[Asterisk-Users] 802.1p , precedence and TOS

SCollins smjjscollins at comcast.net
Tue Apr 19 11:45:55 MST 2005

Questions:
1) How can I set the 802.1p precedence field from Snom and asterisk?

2) Which is the differences between the IP Precedence field and TOS
  field?

IP Precednce and ToS are synonymous. There is a 3-bit ToS field in the IP
header that allows for 8 levels of classification of IP traffic - these
are known as the IP precedence bits.

802.1p or CoS (Class of Service) is a Layer 2 Prioitization protocol.
802.1p uses a 3-bit prioitization field, in an 802.1q TAG,to define 8
priority levels.  To obtain the correct Layer 2 CoS on your 3300 I believe
you need to set the prioritization on the IP phone, using 802.1q and then
setting the prioritization, and then configure the clasifiers and profiles
on the 3Com 3300 so that it will remark the packets on ingress.  The CoS
traffic classification will need to be configured on ALL Switches in your
network for the 802.1p prioritzation of the Voice traffic.

Most layer 3 Switches support both ToS and CoS and will re-mark the 802.1p
Prioritization into the ToS field in the IP header, so that if the traffic
is being routed, between VLANs for example, the traffic will maintain it's
priority.

Hope this helps.

Sean

http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=8358073