[Asterisk-Users] VPN/Asterisk combo

Joseph tech at ekn.com
Tue Apr 19 08:06:55 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 10:13 -0400, Chris Mason (Lists) wrote:
> I think we are getting off the subject, I personally don't have 18 lans. I
> have two, which is good as I can hardly handle those.
>
> I would prefer to use two different LAN adapters and allow some ports to
> route between the lans, I have a music server that both lans will share and
> I have to share the gateway to the internet and the PBX. I do not want
> windows network traffic to be seen across the lans.
>
> I'm not a network engineer and so I don't know the most elegant solutions
> but I thought having asterisk on the firewall and three NICS was a
> relatively easy way to control intra-network traffic and firewall the
> networks to the internet without compromising the PBX's ability to connect
> to the phones.
> Can anyone suggest a better way or give me some advice?
>
> Chris Mason
> www.anguillaguide.com

I use a linux box for vlans/firewalls. And it works great.
We have one vlan just for voip, and others for different departments.

Then on the pbx, we have one nic on the data vlan and one nic on the
voice vlan. This way there is no routing for the voice internally and
yet all ssh and external access gets to the pbx via the data vlan.

Here is a doc on setting vlans on linux:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7268

--
respectfully, Joseph ===============