[Asterisk-Users] TDM400P and SCSI/SATA = * noise problems???

Eric Wieling aka ManxPower eric at fnords.org
Tue Apr 19 03:55:12 MST 2005

Damian Funnell wrote:
> When I asked them for further information
> on how to improve this they replied:
>
> ** Extract begins **
>
> SCSI RAID can cause the problem.  If disabling hyper threading does not
> resolve your problem my next suggest would be to revert to a PATA IDE
> hard drive solution configured to UDMA level 2 using hdparm.  SCSI or
> SATA causes problems on some systems from what I have seen.  The problem
> increases when using a SCSI or SATA RAID.
>
> ** Extract ends **
>
> I really hope that they are wrong, as I don't feel like throwing away my
> nice expensive Ultra320 SCSI RAID controller and hot plug drives and
> replacing them with some crusty old IDE config.  Needless to say I'm not
> going to go and shell out on IDE controller & drives until I'm a little
> more certain that this is actually a problem and have asked them for
> more information.

I've gotten some "iffy" advice from Digium tech support before.

There is not a specific issue with RAID that I know of.  However, it is
common for some kernel modules to lock interrupts for very long amounts
of time.  This will cause problems.  Graphics is well known for this, as
is some RAID drivers.