[Asterisk-Users] Can I use Asterisk for a modified Hoot andHoller?

Race Vanderdecken asteriskusers at codetyrant.com
Mon Apr 18 10:34:06 MST 2005

Hmmm,

	Hoot and Holler, hoot-n-holler, ARD: Automatic Ring Down, Hot
line and Private Line Automated Ringdown (PLAR)

	You should think about VoIP via Asterisk.

Here is a quick search result on it
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2003-March/008936.html

But not much else.

 I am looking at pre-dial on the cisco 7960 or the snom 200's I have.

This might be a good thing to add to sip. Just need to get the phone to
ping Asterisk when it goes off hook. A few changes to the sip C code to
make it dial an extension/context.

If someone knows how to get a voip phone to pre-dail then the SIP
changes are not that hard.

Race "The Tyrant" Vanderdecken

Looking at this issue I stole/lifted this from a hoot-n-holler company.

"An Auto-Ring Down is a leased voice circuit that connects two single
endpoints together. When either telephone handset is taken off-hook, the
remote telephone automatically rings. This application is used most
frequently for brokerage firms, banks, Wall Street firms and
applications that require immediate verbal responses. Since ARDs and
Hoot'n'Hollers are popular with Wall Street and Recycling Companies,
(name of company removed here) has specialized in both types of
circuits.

This type of voice-grade analog circuit is considered a specialty
circuit in that the Bell codes for signaling on both ends are not coded
the same on each side, as are most other types of circuits. This is
called a 2-state signaling scheme, based upon the use of the "A-Bit".
Like many other voice-grade analog circuits, it can be ordered either as
a 2 or 4 wire connection based on the requirement of the customer's
terminating equipment. If any of the segments of the tail circuits into
the customer's premise are in excess of 6 miles, the circuit should be
ordered up as a 4 wire. This is followed with a hybrid station pack at
the customer site to break it back down to 2 wires for their equipment."