[Asterisk-Users] Can I use Asterisk for a modified Hoot and Holler?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Apr 18 10:11:36 MST 2005

> Hello wonderful asterisk users list.
>
> I have some energy traders that are currently using 2 wire
> hoot-n-hollers (squawk box, always open direct line) to different
> trading floors throughout the country.  Each "box" has one hoot-n-holler
> line.  I would like to make these boxes IP based by connecting the 4
> lines to a TDM400 with 4 fxo modules, providing SIP or IAX extensions
> for each hoot line and giving my clients a softclient on their desktop.
> Will it work?  Is it reliable?  Is it the best way?

The probability of making that work with a TDM card is rather low.

The primary reason is the TDM card (and drivers) are oriented around
ringing come in, some action performed (eg, dialplan), and aswering
the call. Hoot-n-holler circuits don't have those same functions.

In most cases that I'm familiar with, the actual circuit used for
these is four-wire (not 2-wire) and the TDM does not have a four-wire
interface.

Could someone modify the drivers to do that? High probability, but
that isn't going to be an easy task for the uninitiated.