[Asterisk-Users] S100I - competitive price?

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Sun Apr 17 18:34:19 MST 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

[ DELETED]

> Realistically, how cheaply can you put together a box with a T-1 card
> and a channel bank with 24FXS ports (even disregarding G.729
> transcoding, which would add to the cost)? $700? $800? more? I can't say
> for sure, but if you wanted to use a decent speed machine, I'd expect
> that the PC+TE110P+channel bank solution would cost at least $900, and
> that's using a bargain-basement PC  and a used channel bank.

Or if you didn't need FXS ports, we could take an old PM-3 w/ 50 DSP's in
it, and a pair of the Dallas Framers to build a T1 channel bank via
Ethernet. ;)

Seriously, the PM3 would make an awesome platform for an Ethernet to T1 or
PRI channel bank. The core is an AMD 5x86 processor, it can take 16 megs
of ram, it has the entire TDM architecture already built into it, and the
old Modem cards have Lucent DSPs that could easily implement transcoding
and G.168 echo cancellation.

Best of all, the boxes are dirt cheap, and.. I know for a fact that the
ComOS has been ported to GCC on Linux and can be built. I've talked with
the engineer that wrote the drivers for Livingston, and he's been thinking
of writing an IAX2 stack for it.

Digium.. you listening? ;)

                             KP-216-121-ST