[Asterisk-Users] Codec Linux Bandwidth Reading

chawki hammoud cyhammoud at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 05:03:40 MST 2005

Hi everyone:

I have my asterisk 1.0.6 installed on Manrake 10.1. I
had problems using ulaw codec, RTT was skyrocketing in
few seconds so calls experienced huge delays. Then I
started changing my codecs in iax.conf file and
monitor the send and receive speed rate from Mandrake
Control Center. I have two notices that I need help
interpreting please:

First, the sending speed and receiving speed rate that
I read from Mandrake linux doesn't match what I read
about the codec bandwidth. For instance, ulaw (80 kbs)
reads 9.3KB/S, gsm (35) reads 3.1KB/S, and ilbc reads
2.7 KB/S. May be I am confused about Mandrake
readings. Isn't sending speed  and receiving speed are
meant bandwidth by Mandrake here?

Second, No matter what codec I use , the sending speed
is always constant most of the time (0.1 KB/S
variation) while the receiving speed suffers bigger
variation during the same call and the qulity of the
calls suffers as well. So if I used ulaw, I see a
sending  variation from around 6 kb/s - 9.3 kb/s where
the quality is very good at 9.3 KB/S. If I switch to
gsm, the receiving speed also varies under 3.1 and
where the voice quality is great at 3.1. The internet
bandwidth is there, why the codec is not using what it
needs?

Thanks in avanse for your opinions and suggestions