[Asterisk-Users] large analog to asterisk

Joseph Gutowski asteriskdump at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 19:33:55 MST 2005

How does his choice of analog or ethernet/SIP phones in the rooms make
a difference for E911? They'd still be interfacing with the same
Asterisk box and using the same outgoing trunks. And if the setup
handles E911 properly for one (which I don't believe would be
possible), it would do it for the other. Please correct me if I'm
wrong, because I really would like to know why this would make a
difference so I don't get myself stuck in this situation at some
point.

A bit off-topic, but I'm interested to hear from the original poster
why this hotel is considering an Asterisk install.

What's there now? What is missing or what do they hope to gain? Unless
they'te either expanding and outgrew or killed their current PBX
(which it doesn't sound like they did) or don't have a PBX at all,
what is the point of doing an install that is rather expensive no
matter which way you approach it?

Unless some of the more advanced features have become a "requirement"
among their clientelle, is there really a return from investing what
would be in the range of $25,000 (analog) or $125-150000 (SIP) plus
wiring/telco-setup/configuring/maintence?

I'm not saying its a bad idea, but some information about what they're
hoping to gain, the type of clientelle they have, and how much they're
willing to spend (i.e. would they see a benefit to tying this into
wiring ethernet to all the rooms for guest use and giving higher-end
business clients nice SIP phones with features and internet access)
would certianlly help identify the best way to approach the problem.