[Asterisk-Users] ilbc codec in Asterisk

Gavin Hamill gdh at laterooms.com
Fri Apr 15 07:34:27 MST 2005

On Friday 15 April 2005 15:28, Stephen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> How can I use ilbc codec in asterisk? been trying to set allow=ilbc at
> my sip.conf and iax.conf but the call is format to ulaw, though I put
> allow=ilbc above allow=ulaw.
>
> I have been tried for almost two weeks and now seeking experts for help.
>
> : ( .
>
> need ilbc codec to reduce the total bandwidth used by asterisk.
>
> Anyone can share their experience ?

Stephen, you would be much much better off paying the tiny sum of $10 for a
G.729 license... not only is this a lot more 'industry standard' but the
latency is lower as are the conversion times.

Best still, the bandwidth usage is even lower than ILBC, I believe :)

You can also get a usable implementation at [1] but please be aware this is
non-licensed and as such you will be infringing on the intellectual property
of patent holders by using it in a live environment.

Cheers,
Gavin.
[1] http://kvin.lv/pub/Linux/Asterisk/