[Asterisk-Users] Steal a call from a SIP extension

Josiah Bryan jbryan at productiveconcepts.com
Thu Apr 14 07:46:23 MST 2005

On Thursday 14 April 2005 10:24 am, Sean Kennedy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think I've seen this somewhere, but I can't remember where;  Is it
> possible to steal a call from a sip extension?  Let me explain what we
> are trying to do:
>
> Parking calls is a good thing, but having to remember an extension may
> be a bit much to ask my user base who is used to seeing line presences
> on their phones ( old avaya partner ACS system ).  I'm thinking they'll
> keep forgetting what extension a call is parked on.  I would like for
> them to be able to put a call on hold on their extension, and have
> someone else be able to "steal" it off that extension from a different
> extension.
>
> Is this possible?  If so, can I get the terminology for this ( I can do
> my own research if needed )?

Should be an incredibly easy modification of a script I wrote to do call
pickups. Several people have tested this script out and it seems to be
working at other * installs. In house, we use it heavily with about 40-50
users to pickup ringing calls.

The script would just need to be modified to not check if an extension is
ringing - just check if the extension is 'live' - e.g. a channel exists for
this exension.

Once the logic of finding out if an ext is live and all the AGI stuff to get
an extension via DTMF is done, its very simple just to issue a Manager
'Redirect' command to redirect a call from one device to another. The key is
to redirect the _calling_ channel instead of the _called_ channel - e.g. if a
call came in on Zap/4-1 and called SIP/whatever, the Manager Redirect is
issued to Redirect 'Channel: Zap/4-1' instead of SIP/whatever.

Anyway, that is all handled by pickup.pl anyway - figuring out the channel to
redirect, etc. If this sounds helpful or useful, let me know...

HTH & Cheers!
-josiah

--
Josiah Bryan