[Asterisk-Users] PSTN VOIP integration not allowed in INDIA

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Wed Apr 13 14:45:03 MST 2005

> http://www.trai.gov.in/IP_Recommendations.htm

> Section 3 and 4 of this article talk about how the digital divide will
> increase if ISP's are allowed to provide PSTN VOIP integration by
cutting
> into the revenue stream of other Telecom providers who are obligated
> provide low cost telecom services in rural India.

> --
> regards
> Vikram (http://www.vicramresearch.com)

I'm just starting the research for an IP-Tel deployment in India.
I've been informed that a deployment, even one limited to VoIP
within the local office, is regulated.  As such a company that
wishes to use a system like asterisk needs to apply for a license
to deploy.  It does not matter if the system will not be used
for toll-bypass, and that every call made to an external number
will be routed through the carrier.

I am waiting on some information about how to apply for the
license and the costs associated.  So I cannot provide any
details beyond this.  Maybe another reader can.

Dan