[Asterisk-Users] VOIP Regulations in INDIA

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Wed Apr 13 14:38:44 MST 2005

> Wrong email list Vikram. Find the right list elsewhere.

I respectfully disagree.  And before the conversation
falls into a pit of flames, let me explain.

I have not found another forum with network and telecom
professionals from all over the world.  I have been
(un)lucky enough to have performed IP-Tel deployments
in China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, The Netherlands and in
th U.S.A.  In the U.S. we are a bit spoiled, as our
carriers will often setup a circuit to our specs.

In other countries, you get what you get.  Ask the
provider for the specifications on your shiny new circuit,
and the response will be "Oh, it is the standard".  And
just what is the standard?  Who knows the engineer assigned
to your install may have no idea.  Framing, line-coding or
switch type (for a E1/T1 pri) are unknown, since they only
do it one way, no one bothers to remember.

So I usually have to make a guess, test, try again.
I suppose a page on the wiki about what works in which
countries might be a good idea, and if I get a moment I'll
post what I have found.

So far that is just the technical aspect.  The legal questions
are just as important.  China has a reputation of also being
VoIP unfriendly.  When I was asked to implement two system
in China, I tried to get clarification about the regulations.
I saw no sense in putting the office staff at risk for
prosicution.  The answer I received is "It's not legal, but
don't worry, the government will not enforce it".  Unbelievably
the source of the quote was the government run telco.

This list, and it's members are in a unique position to help
each other beyond the technical requirements.  I may be alone
in this belief, but any obsticle to a successful asterisk
deployemt would seem to be fair game.

Dan