[Asterisk-Users] Newbie Question on how to handle main office number

Nick Teagle nteagle at bis-internet.co.uk
Wed Apr 13 08:19:06 MST 2005

Hi we are looking to swap out an old version of Cisco Call Manager for
asterisk and are trying to work out the best way to handle the main
office number. We will have about 35 phones and we have PRI from Colt,
we are london based.

At present when a call is made to the main number and is not answered or
is engaged we forward the call to a shared number that every phone in
the office is registered to and so can answer. But this limits us to
only receiving two calls at once to our main number. We like the way
this works apart from the limit of two calls at once and are trying to
work out the best way to implement this in asterisk.

Although we have looked at queue's we don't want everybody to having
login every morning ?.

Would a solution where we forward calls from the main number to an
extension that calls all the phones, be a solution ?

exten => 2000,1,Dail(SIP/101,SIP/102,SIP/103 etc)

Or would this get engaged after the first call is answered on it, if
could I have a number of these that roll over to each other ?

Or are there other ways to handle the main number ?

Thanks for any help

Nick