[Asterisk-Users] snom and "hint" priority

Josh Dady jpd at indecisive.com
Wed Apr 13 08:30:22 MST 2005

(boy mail in this list piles up fast when I can't check it)

On Apr 8, 2005, at 10:03 AM, Michael George wrote:

> - It appears that the extension used with the "hint" must be the same
> as the
>   extension used to dial that channel.  So if extension 22 will ring
> Zap/2,
>   then "exten => 22,hint,Zap/2" will work, but "exten =>
> 222,hint,Zap/2" will
>   not.  Why is that?

The extension is how asterisk maps SIP URLs to chunks of your dialplan
-- if you program a button on a snom to "dest
<sip:12345 at your-asterisk-box>", the phone will use that same URL for
both dialing and subscribing to extension state.  Unless you have a
phone that lets you specify different URLs for dialing and subscribing
to state, they have to match in asterisk.

> - If I am correct in the above, then there is no way for me to monitor
>   channel that is not an extension.  As an example, I have a TDM400
> with 3 FXS
>   (Zap/1-3 on extensions 21-23) and 1 FXO (Zap/4) as well as a VoIP
> channel
>   for dialing out.  I can monitor the states of the extensions with
> extension
>   entries like "exten => 21,hint,Zap/1" but I cannot monitor the state
> of the
>   FXO with "exten => 0,hint,Zap/4" because 0 is not the extension of
> Zap/4.
>   Indeed, Zap/4 has no extension.  Is it not possible to monitor that
> line,
>   then?

There has to be a SIP URL for the phone to subscribe to -- if you put:

   exten => zap4,hint,Zap/4

in your extensions.conf (with no zap4,1,... entry) it wouldn't be
dialable (although the phone would still try if you pushed it) but
would have a valid SIP URL.

--
Joshua P. Dady