[Asterisk-Users] Re: Multiple Servers and 1 Central Voicemail

Luki lugosoft at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 13:50:46 MST 2005

> I'm sure that works well when the machines are together on one
> network. What happens, though, when the machines are in
> geographically disparate locations.

That was exactly my point. I goal was to have servers say on the east
and west coast. NFS isn't really a great solution for this situation,
even if run through a VPN. Just too much potential for trouble like
stale file handles, etc, etc...

As for multiple servers accessing the same spool directory -- that
should be OK, because asterisk is already multi-threaded. It's similar
to a scenario when two people leave a message at the same mailbox at
the same time. Works OK.

The only issue I had was that the MWI on the phone activates as soon
as a voice mail is started to be recorded. So essentially a user can
start listening to it and delete it before the caller finisher
recording. In this case, one doesn't get a to hear the entire voice
mail and the delivery by email contains an empty attachment.

There is a simple way around it though by patching the voicemail app
to write a tmp file first, then rename it to the final name so it
becomes visible to voice mail monitoring thread and activate the MWI.

--Luki