[Asterisk-Users] Re: Multiple Servers and 1 Central Voicemail

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Tue Apr 12 10:32:23 MST 2005

>>> Also, what happens if for example, the user is accessing his VMB
>>> on server 1 and changes his password, then travel to where server
>>> 2 is and tries to access his VMB? the config on server2 would
>>> still have the old one.... so you need to sync voicemail.conf on
>>> all servers too ...
>>
>> If you use the realtime config via a DB, it should be OK. But I still
>> don't think that MWI will work properly if a message is left on server
>> A and user is actually registered on server B, which is NOT on the
>> same network and hence does NOT share the same voice mail spool. How
>> will B know there is a message left on A for the same user? Does
>> realtime share this info too? And if so, how does the message get
>> retrieved if B does not have access to files on server A, where the
>> actual message is?
>
> Why not just NFS mount the /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail directory
> from a
> central server? That way, all servers share the same spool and the MWI
> will
> get reflected on all servers.

I'm sure that works well when the machines are together on one network.
  What happens, though, when the machines are in geographically
disparate locations, your voicemail volume is quite large, and you
don't have ultra-high bandwidth links between them?  I haven't tried
it, but I imagine the performance of the voicemail app wouldn't be so
good on the remote servers.

- Noah