[Asterisk-Users] Looking for comments on robustness of SpanDSP / app-rxfax / mime-construct

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Tue Apr 12 12:57:21 MST 2005

I've been testing spandsp with mime-construct on 1.0 - stable with the
inbound fax number being routed as a DID on a PRI. While I have it working,
and it emails me a PDF fine most of the time, I've noticed some issues on
receive:

1. It's a little bitchy on long faxes from analog machines; it just seems to
rx and rx and rx forever and never finish. Using a Class 1 USR faxmodem with
our fax software (Zetafax) it works 100%; only sometimes is it a problem
with a "plain old fax" that's long. Not using a Canon fax, it's a Ricoh G4
33.6.

2. Sometimes I watch it spool the inbound file then hang up the Zap channel
and mime-construct doesn't kick in, like it's bailing out of the dialplan.
So, the fax comes in ok, but mime-construct never gets around to doing it's
thing. This was really a problem when I had the Asterisk server pointing to
a slow DNS server since I'm relaying the PDF's to an outside SMTP server.
Changing the DNS server to a local DNS server help greatly, but still,
sometimes the PDF never gets mailed.

I am using the ext-fax context provided in the latest AMP. I haven't changed
anything in that context from the stock install.

My questions:

1. Any comments on faxrecieve macro robustness in general?
2. Are there any recommended ways to set this up on a PRI beyond what I've
done?
3. Problem (2) I have above seems to be a timing problem in the dialplan -
would a Wait() or two help any?

tia