[Asterisk-Users] RE: Ebay listing selling Asterisk @ Home andAMPfor over 1000 dollars

Kerry Garrison kerryg at techdatapros.com
Mon Apr 11 19:24:33 MST 2005

> I see where you are coming from. However, when I read or hear someone say
"We
> have built in" something into a system, to me that implies they designed
it and
> are taking the credit for it. Yes, that have given a bulleted list of
items
> included in the package. But no where in their advertisement nor in the
> screenshots that I can see, do they give credit to anyone other than
Asterisk for
> the package. And the entire thing appears to be completely built off of
the
> Asterisk at Home project that is certainly a lot easier to setup than what
they
> claim in that writing.

Simple question...."so what?" It may be easier to setup "to you", but it is
mind boggingly difficult for others. Extensions, Ring Groups, Trunks, Dial
Plans, PSTN, POTS, PRI, etc can start to make many people's eyes gloss over.
That is the beauty of this business. I am in independent consultant, do you
feel it is wrog for me to sell an Asterisk system to a client to solve their
business needs? Who knows, I might have started selling pre-configured boxes
on eBay myself except looking through completed items shows that while he
has been selling that box for sometime, he has never had a single bid on
one. And its NOT because its based on open source, PBX's in general do not
sell very well if at all on eBay as it is a function of "the phone guy" to
recommend a system to his clients.

With Asterisk, the "phone guy" can now be the "computer guy" and can handle
both systems. But anyone that thinks it is immoral in some way for me to
make a living off if it is crazy. How many Linux admins are employed out
there? Shouldn't they give their time away because Linux is open source?
What about Dell selling servers with Linux installed? Should they give away
the servers? So why should a phone system be any different?

Kerry