[Asterisk-Users] Can I exit from asterisk console without stopping asterisk?

Leif Madsen - Certified Asterisk Consultant asterisk.leif.madsen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 11:14:45 MST 2005

On Apr 11, 2005 4:30 AM, Abraham WEI <abraham.wei at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the answer is yes:
>  a) how can I do that?
>  b) how can I restart an asterisk console?

The error you are getting is probably because you are starting Asterisk like so:

/usr/sbin/asterisk -c

If you do that, then when you exit, it will kill the application,
which apparently you don't want to happen. What you will need to do is
start Asterisk without jumping directly into the console (thats what
the -c means) like so:

/usr/sbin/asterisk

or, if you're using a RedHat based system and typed 'make config'
after install, you can run the script to start Asterisk:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/asterisk start

After Asterisk is running, you can then re-attach and detach from the
console at will:

/usr/sbin/asterisk -r

Add multiple v's for verbosity:

/usr/sbin/asterisk -rvvvvvvvvv

Alternatively, attach to the Asterisk console and control the
verbosity from there:

set verbose 10

Hope that helps,
Leif Madsen