[Asterisk-Users] UK PSTN Calling From OH323 Problem

Iain Young iain at g7iii.net
Sun Apr 10 07:49:39 MST 2005

Hi All,

I'm just starting with Asterisk, so this may be something very
simple. I'm using a X100P, and a softphone (GnomeMeeting) with
OH323 providing the linkage into Asterisk. The (very) simple
setup looks like this:

PSTN---X100P----Asterisk---OH323 GateKeeper---GnomeMeeting
     (zap channel)          (OH323 Channel)

I'm slowly working thru my own Dial Plan, bit by bit. I finally
got my head around the concepts and theory of extensions.conf,
but found the supplied file rather complex and confusing.

So, in order to test my understanding, and actually get some
experience of writing it myself, I started from a clean sheet of
paper.

I've sorted incoming calls from the POTS line, so they get
sent to the softphone. But I'm having difficulty getting
outbound calls to the PSTN line from the softphone to work
correctly.

extensions.conf contains the following:

---BEGIN INCLUDE FILE---
[general]
static=no
writeprotect=yes

[global]
RINGTIME=>3
POTSOUT=>Zap/1

[default]
exten => s,1,Wait,1
exten => s,2,Answer                     ; Answer The Incoming Call
exten => s,3,Dial,OH323/iain            ; Transfer to the SoftPhone
exten => s,4,HangUp                     ; Hang Up

[voip-h323]
exten => s,1,Wait,1
exten => s,2,Answer                     ; Answer The Incoming Call
exten => s,3,DigitTimeout,15            ; Give us time to enter the real num
exten => _9X.,1,Dial,Zap/1/${EXTEN:1}   ; Try This
---END INCLUDE FILE---

So, What I was hoping this would do, is dialing 9 followed by a
number, would send the call out the POTS line. Well it sorta works.

If I dial (from the softphone) 91471 (1471 is the number you call in
the UK to see who called your POTS line last), it works (seems to take
an age to dial, and connect, but does work)

However, if I call other numbers, eg my own mobile, or another PSTN
number, then although a 'show channels' shows the correct number, it
never seems to reach the number that (I think) it dialed

Asterisk version is Asterisk 1.0.7-BRIstuffed-0.2.0-RC7k from Debian
Sid.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong ? Is there
anything specific to the UK ? Do I need to add something to ensure
it knows how to dial in the UK ?

All the Best

Iain