[Asterisk-Users] unlimited iax termination

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Apr 9 04:58:02 MST 2005

> Serves you right for offering a bait and switch deal. If you are selling
> "unlimited" that's what it should be. Why would you be surprised if someone
> wants to use the unlimited feature?
> What's wrong with selling a "1000 minutes for $10" plan? I guess you are
> afraid someone will then offer an "unlimited" plan and take all the
> business! So you all offer unlimited, even though you can't deliver it and
> hide the real details in the fine print. So much for truth in marketing.
> There's laws to protect us from this kind of marketing, it's a shame they
> aren't used more often.

Unfortunately, the marketing profession (world wide) has gotten to the
point of "how can we stretch the wording to influence a buy decision
without outright lying". I'd swear a prereq for filling any marketing
position is for one to have experience selling used cars.

Read the fine print for...
 - satellite TV (HD, first months different rate, termination fee)
 - car leases (front-end and back-end fees, milage limits)
 - telephone company (home vs business line cost)
 - breakfast food
 - cisco phones (actual cost for a new working legal "sip" phone)
 - cellular usage plans
 - attorney's fees
 - TV ads (the first 100 callers get two for the price of one)
 - stock brokers (influenced by back door commissions)
 - unlimited voip plans (411 & 1-900 costs, international calls)

It's become common practice to state one thing and place limits (or
conditions) on that statement within the fine print. And, our legal
system(s) seem to support that fine-print approach.

The unlimited plans (regardless of which itsp) are no different.

Technical folks are educated to define things in a clear & concise
manner, black or white, if... then..., spend time to find and
remove "exceptions" to any spec, works or doesn't work, etc.
Marketing is almost the complete opposite, and none of us (as
individuals) can change that with the exception of individually
electing not to buy. Your line drawn in the sand will likely be
at a different location then the next person's. So, it's simply
buyer be ware!